Monday 14 January 2013

Beetroot...mmm

I'm a big fan of vegetables in cakes.  I love a good moist carrot cake and not just for the icing.  A muffin filled with spiced butternut squash is a wonderful with a cup of tea and a fairly recent discovery is has been courgette cake.  But my absolute favourite is chocolate and beetroot...mmmm!

After an unsuccessful and slightly disheartening day in the lab I decided there was no better way to make myself feel brighter than a some lovely chocolate and beetroot brownies.  So I ran off to the big Sainsbury's and picked up the last bunch of raw beetroot and rushed home.

Instead of following a recipe I decided to wing it and I think this had a mixed level of success.  I was aiming for a gluten and dairy free gooey delight, however it was a bit crumbly and sugary but I still enjoyed baking it.  I think next time I might need to add some xanthan gum, cook it for a few minutes less and use less sugar.  Here is the recipe anyway!


Recipe

9oz cooked beetroot (peel, chop, place in a bowl with some water and microwave for 10 minutes)
4.5oz chopped dark chocolate 
1 tsp vanilla essence
180ml sunflower oil
3 eggs
4oz light brown sugar
5oz golden caster sugar
3oz gluten free plain flour
2oz cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder

Pre-heat the oven to 180C and grease a brownie tin.

Blitz the beetroot and chocolate together, as the beetroot is warm it will melt the chocolate and the kitchen will smell amazing.  Then add the oil and vanilla essence.



In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and sugar until it thickens and turns pale.  You should be able to move the whisk around the bowl and it will leave a trail. Then pour in the beetroot mix and fold in.  It looks a bit odd at this point but almost there.  Next sieve in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and fold together.



Once its completely mixed in, pour it into the tin and cook for 25-35 minutes.  Leave to cool and then cut, hopefully it will be less crumbly than this bad boy was!



I think I will take these in tomorrow and offer then to the analytical machine that isn't working as some sort of ritual peace offering.  Maybe it might start working, who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment